Tuesday 12 October 2010

Another Little Birdie...

I can't believe I have left my camera sitting around for such a long time... almost to the point of collecting dust! 

And I did not really realise how long it's been till when I picked it up this morning for a few quick shots.  As can be expected, the rechargeable batteries were dead and I was almost afraid I could not be quick enough for those few quick shots I wanted to take.

I had heard the little thud on the sliding glass door and through my "temporary make-do curtains", which is actually a light tent tarp, I had glimpsed the shadow of something dropping onto the balcony.  The next thing I did was to get down into a crawl and, as stealthily as I can, crept towards the door to take a peek out there.

A tiny little bird had crashed into the glass door again.

How did this happen?  I mean, I have my drying rack with laundry out there.

Anyway, this is a series of shots I took of this little birdie.  Here's the first shot...

 

 

Just looking at that face, all I could think of was that I hope he'll be ok.  And I tried to keep my distance in case he panics and tries to take flight and gets hurt further.

 

 

When he saw my presence, he did get a bit startled and tried to get up.

 

 

And I am sure that would have been painful because it looked like he winced!

 

 

After a while, he looked up again...  perhaps to orientate himself?  To plan his escape route?

 

 

But... nope... he decides he still needs to rest and get his wind back!

 

 

So he continues to sit there.

I guess it is still too soon to move anywhere yet.  I can just imagine it would hurt.

 

 

Eventually he did feel better, though I don't like the look of his right feet.

 

 

And then after a while, he starts to wonder.... in which direction should I be taking off?

 

 

So he looked left, then right...

 

 

It took him about 30 minutes to recover from the crash.  I was relieved to see him taking off again without further incidence.

Maybe it's a bit of an overkill with so many photos of just one little bird.  Front profile, side profile, front profile...  you said it.

I must be mad!

But my heart totally goes out to this little birdie!

 

...and I think he's cute!

 

 

UPDATE 14 Oct 2010: 

wchinner and birding friends have kindly confirmed this little birdie to be a juvenile Flyeater, Gerygone sulphurea, that grows to a length of only 9cm from tip of bill to tip of tail.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment