Saturday 21 May 2011

The Last Of The Trithemis Dragonflies!

After all this time, I have finally come across the last of the Trithemis species of dragonflies listed for Peninsular Malaysia, namely the Trithemis pallidinervis.  Finally!
I was on my way home as it would be sunset soon.  Not that I am afraid of the dark but I could feel the beginnings of the rumblings that indicate it is almost time for dinner!  But... I could not resist making one last stop at another pond.  And it was again good thinking to follow my instinct, as this was where I had found the Trithemis pallidinervis.


I had walked along the perimeter of the pond and scanned the area to see which dragonflies are actively out and about.  In the reflection of the evening sun on the pond, I could see quite a lot of tandem pairs of those tiny blue damselflies of the Pseudagrion species.  There was also a large dragonfly skimming at speed over the water in large sweeps and it made a fly-by close to me.  From its shape and markings, quite definitely the Anax guttatus, of which I still do not have a photo as yet.

I walked on to the next spot and there was this dragonfly that seems to be doing a dance of love with a stalk of grass.  It was perched on a stalk but would often fly off only to come back to it again and again.  It would not sit still for very long.  In my mind's eye, I see a pas de deux...  like the variations in a classical ballet duet.  I watched with a smile on my lips, fascinated by this dragonlfy and the rumblings of hunger were all forgotten...

The Trithemis pallidinervis of the family Libellulidae is widespread in mainland Asia.  The male has hindwing length of 31.5 mm and it has light coloured wing-veins and well-defined pale markings on its synthorax.



It seems to like to perch with its wings almost folded and held above in a rather discernible pose.  It is a beautiful display.  It had kept me mesmerised.



I sat there and watched this elegant dance of the dragonfly, until the sun had dipped behind the hills and then it was back to reality... the hunger calls had started again...

Here's a look at all three species of the Trithemis dragonflies found in Peninsular Malaysia, and in Langkawi too: Trithemis aurora (top), Trithemis festiva (middle) and Trithemis pallidinervis (bottom).


Trithemis aurora


Trithemis festiva

                                                                                                        Trithemis pallidinervis

                                  















No comments:

Post a Comment