Wednesday 6 June 2012

Snakes Again..... In The Mangroves!


Had a kayak trip in the mangroves again today and spotted the mangrove viper, Trimeresurus purpureomaculatus, which really is nothing much to shout about as these vipers are spotted quite regularly.  Didn't manage to get a great pic, but..... here it is anyway.



The second snake I spotted was of much more interest to me as this is the first time I have come across a tiny snake such as this!  Here in the mangroves, I mean.



I would estimate this little snake to be between 25 cm to 30 cm in length and it was not quite as thick as my little finger.  Also, it did not have any markings on it. 



Judging from the shape of its head.....  quite certainly a pit viper, I would think?

Anyway, I did get quite close to this snake to get this pic even though I know that vipers are venomous and can be dangerous but simply because it was such a tiny snake.

Probably a juvenile mangrove viper?

One of the uniformly brown colour variety?

Could anyone help confirm the id?



No comments:

Post a Comment