Tuesday 14 July 2009

A Damselfly Instead

Yesterday, I went to the Seven Wells Waterfalls.

Not to take a dip in the nice, cold water and get drenched in the waterfalls but to just sit there and be mesmerized by the thunderous falls and, just maybe, find a dragonfly or two.



I live in Langkawi.  Yet, it has been almost two years since I last visited this place. 

I know... it is insane, isn't it? 

It is barely a 30-minute drive from home and then only a 5-minute walk uphill from the parking area and another 5 minutes along the walkpath to the waterfalls.  To think that a lot of people actually drive longer distances and take more time to get anywhere. 

Anyway, there has been a lot of rain the last two days and I knew there would be a lot of water and it would be really beautiful.  So I did want to see the waterfalls... again!

There were quite a number of people there, which didn't please me much because it means there would also be quite some rubbish thrown around and there would always be somebody wanting to feed the monkeys.  There should be a signboard to tell people not to litter and not to feed the wildlife and that a fine will be imposed.  And there should be somebody posted there from the City Council or the Wildlife Department just to sit there and seriously impose a huge fine on these people so we could have a cleaner place, the monkeys don't get to eat junk food and at the same time, these local councils and departments would have more money in their coffers!  But, no, they don't want to pay somebody to do that.  They would rather have people just throw rubbish everywhere and let the monkeys have a field day.  To all those people who leave rubbish around... shame on you!

Anyway, I soon found myself a nice spot away from the crowd and sat down. 

And I let myself be absorbed by nature... by the sounds of the thunderous waterfalls, the winds from the rushing, crashing waters and the mists of tiny droplets brushing my face.

It is truly great to be close to nature.

Research has actually shown that people who are into nature are generally healthier in the mind, body and spirit.  And I, for one, know that I need to be with nature every so often to keep my sanity.  So, perhaps, I'm not insane after all?

I sat there for a while, enjoying the moment and at the same time looking out for any dragonflies or insects that would come my way.

None did.

Time passes quickly when you're all absorbed in another world.  Over an hour later, I finally got up to go and that was when I noticed a tiny movement among the rocks and bushes, on the banks next to the waterfalls... near where I had been sitting.

A damselfly had decided to flitter by.




This damselfly is beautiful! 

The Heliocypha biforata is from the Chlorocyphidae family and is found where there is clear, running water.  The Chlorocyphidae family of damselflies are often very colourful and they are small stout species with wings usually longer than the abdomen.  According to the Pocket Guide, this damselfly is widespread in mainland tropical Asia and identification is obvious due to the magenta marks on the thorax.

I must point out here, though, that I am a bit confused with the identification of this species.  When I cross-referenced this species from the Pocket Guide to the Asia Dragonfly website, it is identified there as the Rhinocypha biforata.  I haven't dug deeper into this yet but if anyone can tell me why, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, this is the first time I am seeing this damselfly.  I am happy!

P/S: Thanks to C.Y. Choong.  He explained that this species was initially classified in the genus Rhinocypha but has since been reclassified in the genus Heliocypha.  Currently, this species is accepted as Heliocypha biforata.  (Updated: 17-Aug-2009)


No comments:

Post a Comment