Wednesday 22 July 2009

At The Jetty




Several days ago, instead of heading towards the Laman Padi again, I thought I should check out a different place instead.  As usual, I went with how I feel whether to take a right turn or a left somewhere.

This time, it led me to where a small river flows into the sea.  I decided to stop at a fishing jetty, which I have driven past many times before but had never once stopped for a look.

I parked on the road shoulder and started walking along the road to check the place out.  Even if I did not see any dragonflies, I would have ended up with a few photos showing how scenic this island can be.  And wooden jetties are so very much a part of Langkawi.


I spotted a male Crocothemis servilia almost immediately.  The males of this species are such bright red, they are almost always the first thing you see almost everywhere because they are also quite common.
I saw a few females of the same species flying around too.  And after that, I noticed there were lots and lots of dragonflies up in the sky ahead of me.  There must be a lot of insects in the air that afternoon?

Now I am excited.  Will I find something new today?

And even if I don't, I could still get a few good photos of the red dragonflies.  At least then the background won't be padi grass again like in so many of the photos that I already have.  Yes, it is funny!
Once I got closer, the few dragonflies that are perched on the bushes confirmed it to be the same species as before, probably all of them.  But, wait, when I looked up again, there is this dragonfly that's practically fluttering around like a butterfly among all the other dragonflies that are zapping around!


I followed it for a while and it finally came to perch on the Chromolaena bush.




A Rhyothemis phyllis of the Libellulidae family.  It is very distinctive with the brown and yellow bars at the base of its hindwings.  And the hindwings are also very broad.  Both wings have beautiful markings on them.  Among other places, this species breeds in slightly brackish water.  And it is widespread throughout tropical Asia.

So here is another dragonfly added to the checklist!




This must be my lucky day!  I have seen photos of this exotic looking dragonfly before but had never thought I would actually see one and, actually, even photograph it!

This is certainly a beautiful day!



No comments:

Post a Comment