Wednesday 2 September 2009

Everything Else But Odonata...

I went for a walk this morning and noticed that the flood waters have receded.  So here's a photo of the house in the middle of the padi fields, which is the same house that had stood in the middle of the 'lake' last week (click here to view earlier picture).

 

 

After that, I headed out to a forest trail.  Along the way, I could see signs of damages to lotus ponds and padi fields from all the rain and flooding this past week.  In areas that are developed, there were tell-tale signs and muddy marks where there had been flood waters.  In places where there are vast tracts of land and less development, you do not see that much damage or evidence of the floods.  Doesn't that make you wonder why?

I had to check myself.  The recent deluge of rain is Mother Nature trying to reclaim parts of the earth that man had been abusing for ages by clearing forests, defacing earth and putting in man-made structures without alignment to nature.  So is there a lesson to be learnt here from Mother Nature?

Anyway, I did not encounter too many dragonflies or damselflies out on the trail.  However, at one point when I looked up towards the sky, there must have been like a hundred butterflies fluttering around among the trees.  It was truly amazing!  I sat down on the trail and watched the butterflies for a while.

I should have known it would be a day for butterflies.  As soon as I got out of my front door, this butterfly was there to greet me...

 

The Hypolimnas bolina or Great Egg-Fly

 

And here are the various different species of butterflies on that trail, all fluttering around here and there at the same time.

 

Phalanta phalanta or Small Leopard

 

Euploea camaralzeman or Malayan Crow, female (?)

 

Euploea camaralzeman or Malayan Crow, male

 

Another Euploea spp

 

Euploea radamanthus or Magpie Crow

 

Ideopsis spp

 

Parantica agleoides or Dark Glassy Tiger

 

A mating pair of Euploea radamanthus

 

And the largest and most captivating of all is the Idea lynceus or Tree Nymph, which is found only in Malaysia...

 

I am still a learner at identifying butterflies and did some cross-referencing to check on the above names and species.  Should you spot any errors in the identification for the butterflies above, please kindly notify me.  I would also be most grateful to receive your feedback.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment