Monday 7 September 2009

Which Dark Dragonfly?

I was out kayaking this afternoon when, out of the blue, a dark insect flying overhead caught my attention.  And, of course, it had to turn out to be a dragonfly!

It was fluttering about 5m above, among the tree canopy, without a care in the world.  Its only concerns being the breeze blowing in its face, catching in its wings and lifting it in the air...

It is frustrating when I am not able to determine the species and I cannot even take a photo.  Well, at that height, there isn't any chance for any photos that would help in its identification anyway.  That's unless I have one of those super-duper megazooms that those National Geographic photographers use.  But, no such luck here!

Anyway, all I could see was the dark-coloured body and two pairs of completely dark wings against the bright, blue sky.  Almost like a silhouette!  Except, it was fluttering.  It must have rather broad wings since it is not one of those dragonflies that zap around.  Instead, it flutters and glides and then it flutters again... as if playing a game with the sea breeze.

I wonder which of the Rhyothemis species is this?  I guess this is something I will be pondering over for quite a while until I come across this dragonfly again.

Yet, when will I see it again?  Will I ever get to determine which species of dragonfly it is?  Will it be elusive?

It was such a chance encounter.  And it was rather brief, lasting only a few minutes.  And then, just as quickly, it disappeared out of my line of sight.

All I could do was look and wonder. 

And all I could do was enjoy the magic of the moment.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment