Tuesday 9 April 2013

A Tryst In The Mangroves








If I may say so, I do think this is the best photo I've taken so far of the Mangrove Pit Viper.  
 And this is with my compact camera with 5x Optical Zoom.

Yes, I'm probably too close to this venomous snake.
No, I am not as close to the snake as you would perceive it to be in this photo.
It is still over a metre away from where the camera was held.
And, yes, I was hiding behind a small mangrove tree, which perhaps gave me a false perception of safety even if it still did provide a barrier between the viper and I.  So I had my hand that was holding the camera, around to the other side of the tree to take aim at the viper and snap a few photos.  

Almost blindly and quite at random.

Took a total of five shots and had to delete all but this one.  

My 'photo of the year', maybe?

These vipers are really cool creatures.  To me, anyway.  
Don't I fear these vipers?  
I would be lying if I say I don't.
At the same time, I am not exactly afraid of them.
One thing for certain, I am definitely fascinated by these vipers.
And I do maintain total respect for these snakes and any animals that I encounter.  
After all, every one of us do need our own personal space too, don't we?


I wouldn't say the same if it had been a Cobra.  
For some reason, looking at a slithering Cobra would send a tingle up my spine and my toes would be cringing!

But, each time I am out kayaking, I look forward to a tryst with these vipers in the mangroves.  
It's just that with these wildlife, they don't make appointments........



No comments:

Post a Comment