Saturday 27 April 2013

Natural Cooling System






Yes, I watched the evening sky again yesterday, as I had done the day before.

At this time of the year, whenever I wanted to get good photos of the evening sky, I would sit on the wall on the front stoop and rest my feet on the roof tiles.  And, often, my feet would be placed apart with one foot braced on either side of the roof ridge to get good leverage for photos. 

 


If I am using a tripod, it would be placed on this ridge as well.

 My place has a North-South alignment.
Because of that, I do not get a full frontal view of the morning or evening skies.
Hence, I would sit on the wall right at the edge of the roof ridge in order to face westward where the sun would be setting.  I would have loved to go all the way out onto the ridge of the porch roof but I don't suppose it would be worth taking that risk at all!

Don't get me wrong.
I really am not complaining.

This North-South alignment is truly great for ventilation and this place would almost always be quite cool and airy because of that.

Why?

Here in Langkawi, there are two main seasons - the North-East monsoon from November till April and the South-West monsoon from May till October.  As such, the prevailing winds in this area come from two main directions - from the North-East or North and from the South-West or South, depending on the time of the year.  Having doors and windows in this North-South alignment is therefore perfect for natural ventilation throughout the house and this in itself is a very effective passive cooling system in place.  There are days when I could sit at my dining table or in the living room without putting on the ceiling fan and not even feel warm at all.

Besides that, if you do know me, you would know I am not exactly a conventional person.  So I really do not mind sitting on the wall to get good photos or just to watch the evening skies.  In fact, I quite like it and enjoy doing that when I can.

And I do love it that I get to see the setting sun from this very spot at certain times of the year, without having to leave home and go somewhere else!  That happens in March and September when the sun is making its way North or South respectively and will set behind those hills in horizon.

This next photo was taken in March. 
You can just see the edge of the setting sun before it had completely dipped behind those hills.




A stranger may think I'm loony sitting there on the wall but I am just enjoying life in a way I can!

 The evening sky yesterday was totally awesome!
All those splashes of vivid colours!
It's like something you would only see in a painting!






No comments:

Post a Comment