Saturday 15 August 2009

My Dragonfly Ruminations

The Odonata Checklist had been updated again just this morning.  A total of 20 species listed so far.  And there are more than 230 species recorded in Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore. 

Wow!

I wonder how many would be found in Langkawi?  It would be quite interesting to find out.  And I certainly hope there will be lots...

Quite often, people take up time-consuming hobbies or projects after retirement.  I am nowhere near that, though it does look like I am all set for it.  As it is, I spend many hours, most days of the week, compiling and identifying dragonflies or out dragonfly 'hunting'.  This project will keep my hands full and keep my days filled for many years to come.  Perhaps?

Anyway, a good friend recently asked, "Why dragonflies?"  I could not answer that because I really do not know.  I have had a dragonfly totem for nine years now.  If you had asked me the same question back then, I would not have had the answer either. 

So, of late, I have been asking myself that same question. 

I guess it has to do with nature to start with.  And, what I also do know is that the dragonfly somehow calls to me and puts a smile to my face every time I see it.  Hence, it is more symbolic in nature and for me, the dragonfly bears profound meanings and energies.

Everything happens for a reason.  After all, this is also exactly what nature is about...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment