Monday 17 August 2009

The Spreadwings

I came across this damselfly some months ago, back in late March, actually.  And since then, I have not seen it again even though I have been going back to the same place regularly.

 

 

It is the Platylestes heterostylus of the family Lestidae.  This damselfly has a hindwing length of 21mm.  It is of a light green colour with dark spots on its body or synthorax.  Its abdomen is long and slender and ends in robust anal appendages.  These anal appendages or claspers in the males of this species are long and strongly curved.

Also of note is the head of this damselfly, which is quite different in that it does not have a 'plasticky'-looking face as in the Ischnura senegalensis.

 

 

According to A.G. Orr's Pocket Guide, this damselfly is rare and local in open and forested swamp.  So it must have been a lucky day for me to come across it then.

The family Lestidae has large-sized, slender damselflies and while damselflies generally hold their wings folded when at rest, most damselflies of the Lestidae family hold their wings at an angle away from the body while resting, which explains why they are commonly referred to as Spreadwings or Spread-winged Damselflies.

This damselfly may not have a bright colouring and may not be as eye-catching as the Prodasineura laidlawii but it has its own beauty and is pleasing to the eyes in its own way...

I do hope I will see them again one of these days and I also wonder where else in Langkawi will I find them?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment