Wednesday 20 January 2010

Musings On A Dragonfly In The Mangroves

Yesterday, when I was out kayaking in the mangroves, I spotted a dragonfly buzzing around overhead.  After some time, it flew low over the water and it dipped its abdomen into the brackish water and repeated that several times at various spots before finally zapping away.

I wonder which species can this be? 

There are several species of dragonflies that are salt-tolerant or can be found in mangrove areas or in brackish water conditions, and the Orthetrum sabina is one of the salt-tolerant species but it was certainly not one of these that I saw.  From the flashes of colours, it could possibly be the Macrodiplax cora for all I know but I really do not know for sure.  At all.  And I am really just making a guess here.

The trouble is that it is not easy to track these dragonflies in the mangroves when I am on a kayak.  And the trouble with yesterday was that I did not have the binoculars on hand nor did I have the camera with me.  Anyway, it was buzzing around and it would have been difficult if not impossible to take a shot.

One of these days, I hope to be able to do that.

Meantime, I'll just keep pondering... again!

 

2 comments:

  1. Go hire a kayak on your own and hunt it down again with your camera! i can go wx you on the kayak, if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am certainly planning to do that... ;-)

    ReplyDelete