Saturday 20 February 2010

Blue And Brown

I used to see quite a number of this dragonfly species buzzing around some months ago but of late, I have not been noticing them.  Perhaps it is because I have been looking out for other species instead?  Or perhaps there is less of them out and about during the current hot and dry season?

 

 

Anyway, this is the Brachydiplax chalybea of the family Libellulidae.  It is a small to medium sized dragonfly with hindwing length of 23-26mm.  The male of this species is mostly bluish with a rather strong yellow tint at the base of its hindwings whereas the female is brown and the hindwing base is clear.  The tip of the abdomen is dark for both male and female.

 

 

I wonder if this species could perhaps be migratory? 

And I wonder where have they gone?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment