Tuesday 17 August 2010

More Of The Spreadwings!

At one of the 'dragonfly spots' I went to, I came across damselflies of the Lestidae family or Spreadwing damselflies.  It is always a nice feeling to spot the Spreadwings as it is a rare occasion.

And there were more than one this time.

On all my previous encounters with this damselfly, I could find only one lone male.

Here's a look at the Platylestes heterostylus damselfly that I had found on this day, which is a female. 

 

 

And here is another female damselfly of the same species.  I actually had to check to make sure I was looking at two different damselflies perched at two different spots on the edge of the water.

 

 

And this second damselfy was in the midst of some grooming, flexing her abdomen in rather graceful movements.

Now you can understand why I have been so excited about my great dragonfly outing. 

Quite a great day indeed!

 

 

Click on "platylestes" in the Tags below to see earlier insertions with more information on this species and also for more photos.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment