Saturday 21 August 2010

Pantala flavescens Aplenty

Some of my friends would say I go "Wow" at almost every dragonfly and damselfly that I see, which is actually quite true and I don't deny it.  Yet, I can still remember when I first came across the Pantala flavescens for the first time early this year and I went, "Wow!"

 

 

Of late, I have been seeing quite a few swarms of the Pantala flavescens at a lot of places around Langkawi.  Although you can't really see so many of these dragonflies in the above photo, it is because this is only a part of the swarm and they were not all close together, but you get what I mean about seeing them in a lot of places. 

Anyway, I guess this must be the "season" for them and I have managed to get a few more photos of these dragonflies to add to my collection.

 

 

When I spotted the Pantala flavescens in the padi fields the other day, it was raining.  These dragonflies were perched hidden away among the grasses in the rain.  In all my previous encounters with this species, they have always perched up high on a twig in the tree so I was quite surprised by the discovery.

 

 

Anyway. tiny droplets of rain would collect on their wings and on their legs and from time to time, the dragonfly would just shake it off.

This grasshopper was also out in the rain...

 

 

I often enjoy being out there just to watch and observe all these habits and behaviours of these little creatures that never fail to fascinate me and keep me in awe!

And I often wish more people would appreciate nature for what it is and see the beauty in all that nature presents to us!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment