Sunday 22 January 2012

I Don't Like This!

There was one evening a month ago when I thought the air was a wee bit smoky and I could smell very faintly the smoke from an open fire.
I went outside to the balcony and looked around and found the source of the smoke up in the hills.


The above photo was taken at 7:27 pm on 22 December 2011.
A few days before Christmas.

I look up into the hills very often. 
On most days, if not everyday and at the very least, every few days. 
Sometimes looking for the moon rise, sometimes to look at the dawn skies, sometimes just to look at all the greenery and at other times, simply to take in the view.

And I certainly do not like the sight I saw yesterday.



The 'rocket' hill has been defaced!


These were taken yesterday, at 5:07 pm on 21 January 2012.
Chinese New Year is just two days away.

I do wonder if this is their modus operandi

Both the burning and clearing work had been done in the late afternoon towards evening, just before a major public holiday, namely Christmas and Chinese New Year.  At a time when people would be busy and would not notice or would be tied up with many other things to do?  Or is it just coincidence?

When will these people stop defacing earth for more monetary gains?

I still remember when those towers were first put up on that hill some years ago. 
It was like a sacrilege. 
The pristine beauty of the unmarked hills now marred by those man-made steel structures.
And, mind you, it did not even improve the network coverage for my handphone.
Yet, after a while, you grow accustomed to those structures and they become a part of the whole picture.

In a way, I had felt that it was only a matter of time before this hill will become defaced.
Deforested. 

After all, there are existing farmland on that hill as it is. 
And sooner or later, more land will be cleared, whether for more farming or more development.
It seemed inevitable.

If only it did not have to happen.

Perhaps that is why I have often looked up into those hills. 
To appreciate the sight of these forested hills before they are gone.
So that I will always see the beauty of these green forested hills in my mind's eye.




3 comments:

  1. Another case of land grabbing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Supposed to be private land. But now that forest clearing has started on that hill, it's not going to stop till it's all gone! Quite a shame!

    ReplyDelete