Friday 13 January 2012

Nature At My Doorstep



If I choose to stand at my doorstep all day and do nothing else, there would be lots that can be observed from my doorstep from day to day, throughout the day, in terms of nature!

This morning, for example, a troop of Dusky Langgurs came foraging for food among the trees that line the road just across from my place.  Of course, the camera came into use as I took a few shots of these Langgurs while they were feeding away gleefully on the young shoots on those bare branches.





And just recently, there was this Giant Squirrel, the Ratufa bicolor, scrambling around on one of the trees just a little further away and happily nibbling on some fruits.  These photos are not really clear and are rather 'noisy' because of the distance but you get to have a good look at the squirrel.






Other than the Langgurs and squirrels, quite often the Long-tailed Macaques would be on these same trees and sometimes scouring the garden and greedily eating the fallen fruits picked up from the ground. 

Even the Monitor Lizard comes into the garden looking for food when there isn't anyone around and I get to observe it quietly from my balcony without any intrusion on its feeding while it sniffs around and tastes the air with its tongue, then dig into the grass to feed on insects.


 

I must admit the garden view is not from the front doorstep.  Instead, I am watching from the other doorway. 

Anyway, if nothing else, there will always be the antics of the Common Mynas and Rock Pigeons, the chirping of the Olive-backed Sunbird, the calls and curious looks of the Oriental Pied Hornbills and a myriad of birds and other creatures to keep me entertained with a dose of nature while they forage, flitter about and feed.

Yet, what I sometimes miss and find lacking at my doorstep is the dragonfly.
I have often seen them flying around in the area but there is no reason for them to perch nearby and visit me.

Perhaps I should set up a small pond to attract them here?



No comments:

Post a Comment