Thursday 7 April 2011

Another Great Day!


Look at that blue sky!  A great day to be in the outdoors!

And I have been out and about for twelve hours today, spending time with dragonflies and damselflies and with a great friend and putting my camera to good use. 

I had started out from the southeast of the island, went towards the centre, headed westward and ended the day in the northwest.  It's been an enjoyable day! 

Initially, I had intended to go to the forest trail and was thinking of looking for the Tyriobapta torrida again.  But on my way there, I decided to turn off to another area instead.  It was one of those spur of the moment decisions but I ended up spending a few hours at this place where there is a pond and a stream in an open area and this morning it was actually buzzing with dragonflies and damselflies and lots of other insects.

And It turned out to be a good move to follow my instinct.  I came across a very attractive looking damselfly in this place.  Another tick on the checklist!



It is really pretty, isn't it? 

And that yellow is rather striking!

This damselfly is the Libellago lineata of the family Chlorocyphidae.  The male damselfly has hindwing length of 17mm so you can imagine it is quite a tiny little creature. 

According to the Pocket Guide, this damselfly is widespread throughout tropical Asia.  Yet this is the first time I have come across it.  Probably because it seems to be rather discreet and hides well? 
Or has it recently emerged from the pond?  Or did it migrate here recently? 

I had managed to get only three photos of it from where I stood, haviing just taken a few photos of a spreadwing damselfly, and when I moved, it flew off as well. 

Despite its bright yellow colour, I could not find it again though I looked quite hard for it.


But I did find a yellow grasshopper later...



Quite a beautiful day indeed!




No comments:

Post a Comment