Monday 25 April 2011

The Garden

Although the garden at my father's place could do with a little more tender loving care, I do love the fact that it is an unstructured garden and there are flower trees, fruit trees, ferns and various other plants everywhere...

Do you know... it is a fact that one of the best things you can do to a garden is to have a variety of plant species to attract different species of birds, butterflies and insects to promote a healthy environment for nature?  So the garden might be a little unkempt, but my father has certainly got the right idea for how a garden should be!



Here in this garden, you could hear birdsongs most of the day and could spot the Olive-backed Sunbirds, Scarlet-backed Flowerpeckers, Black-naped Orioles, White-throated Fantails, Yellow-vented Bulbuls, Koels, Glossy Starlings, White-headed Munias, Tiger Shrikes, Eurasian Tree Sparrows and Jungle Mynas among others.  And previously, when the cherry tree was still standing in the garden, there would be bats flying around at night too.



In other words, this garden is a treasure trove if you have nature in mind and are looking for insects, creepy crawlies and such.  And that is one of the things I love most about this garden.  After all, a little unkempt does not exactly matter when it comes to nature but I would think messy and neglect is another thing altogether.

Anyway, on a recent visit, I came across a yellow caterpillar under a leaf of the jasmine plant and it was feeding on the leaf early in the morning.  By the afternoon, it had stopped feeding and was resting under the leaf.  After all, it was such a hot day!

It is a very nice looking caterpillar!



The next morning, I had a "wow" moment when I went to check on the caterpillar again.  To my surprise, it had started its transformation into a chrysalis overnight.















It is amazing, isn't it?

And it is just too bad that I could not just stay and keep watching the progress of the caterpillar's transformation day by day.

I wonder which species of butterfly is this?

And will it still be there a few weeks from now?



No comments:

Post a Comment