Friday 5 March 2010

The Dragonfly And I

Sometimes I wonder about myself.

What I meant is that I was probably quite a different person a few years ago.  Not that I have totally flipped to the other side of the coin but some things have certainly changed.  Not so much outwardly but innately.

Although I have had a dragonfly totem for many years, it all started because it was something I liked and my attention was drawn to it.  Perhaps the dragonfly, as a symbolism, did grow on me. 

The dragonfly knows it has a short life; it knows that it must live its life to the fullest each day.  The life of the dragonfly is really quite simple, though somewhat complicated and unpredictable.  It basks in the morning sun to get warmed up and get started for the day.  It hunts for food for its survival and it looks for a mate to ensure the survival of its species.  Yet it lives very much on its own.  And it has to strive not to be preyed upon so that it will see the next sunrise. 

Anyway, five years ago, I wouldn't have imagined that today I would be chasing dragonflies, spending so much time looking for them and looking at them, learning about them and being contented doing everything on my own.  Nothing had been planned.  Everything simply fell into place by going with the flow of things, being truthful to myself and following the voices of the heart that guide the inner sense of self.

Like the transformation a dragonfly has to go through, similarly it seems to me that my life has "transformed" so much from how it used to be.

I am certainly living a simpler life now, a simpler way of life.  I don't have to concern myself about survival of the species and I don't have to hunt for my meals.  Yet, life, no matter how uncomplicated you try to make it, remains as complicated as it can be in its very being. 

On a day to day basis, what I do seems rather predictable but who knows what tomorrow will bring?  Like the dragonfly, you can never know.  Perhaps it would be another day with the usual trimmings, perhaps not.  The truth is that you will never know what will happen the next day.

So, for today, live it!

 

 

2 comments:

  1. You are really an emotional dragonfly lady.............. Your work on dragonflies of Langkawi is commendable! Keep on going.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dragonflyman, thanks very much. Just taking the time for some reflections, you know.....

    ReplyDelete