Thursday 22 April 2010

Dragonflies Again!

Came across a whole lot of dragonflies while I was out kayaking in the mangroves the other day.  And this time I could identify them.

What a joy!

There must have been a dozen or so of the Rhyothemis obsolescens hovering around in the canopy in that small tributary.  It was quite mesmerizing just to watch them.  And this is the first time I have seen so many of this species in one place, all dancing in the wind!

Also, there was one other dragonfly that was hanging on a twig on another mangrove tree nearby.

This dragonfly was really large, robust-looking, greenish in colour and had racquet-like appendages.  With its large size, it is actually very attractive and rather beautiful.  And its colours were quite amazing!

I was lucky to get a good look at it though I do not have a photo, and have identified it to be the Anax guttatus of the family Aeshnidae. which has hindwing length of 54mm.

About time to update my checklist...

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment