Sunday 11 April 2010

The Healing Powers of Nature

There is nothing like a bit of a walk and a lot of nature for some healing powers to kick off the feelings of lethargy or restlessness and to uplift the spirits.

Initially I had thought I would just sweat it out going up the 4287 steps to the top of Gunung Raya.  In the end, nature prevailed and I took a slower-paced walk mid-way up the 881m mountain.  Along the way, I took the time to listen to the symphonies of the forest; of birds chirping and cicadas singing, I immersed myself in the greenery of the surroundings, feasted my eyes on everything that I could feast on and breathed in lungfuls of fresh air.

I came back refreshed. 

Being close to nature always work wonders in healing the mind, body and soul.

 

 

The buttress roots of a rainforest tree.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A fig tree that towered over me.  Figs are a source of food for birds and primates.

 

 

 

 

 

The green canopy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Green leaves of a young plant and young shoots of a tree.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Beautiful, lush white fungi.

 

 

 

Seeds.

 

 

 

A Lucilia Blow Fly (Diptera: Calliphoridae)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A plant bug.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Also spotted several Dusky Leaf Langgurs, a Great Hornbill and a snake, though I could not identify it as yet.  It was about 30-35cm in length and its diameter about the same size or smaller than my little finger.  The head section is an orangey-reddish colour that extended down about a third of its length.  The rest of its body is a bronze-brown colour.  Again, no snake photos!

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Gunung Raya = Pandora of Langkawi AVATAR!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right, wchinner. It is the healing mountain on this little island where nature still prevails...

    ReplyDelete