Saturday 24 April 2010

Red! Red! Red!

I was not imagining things after all when I thought the one and only red dragonfly buzzing around among the many golden Crocothemis servilia was not the male of the same species.

And then I thought that perhaps it was the Rhodothemis rufa but it seemed somewhat different in the way it looked when it was buzzing around.

Once I got close enough to take a few photos and have a good look, I was quite elated when I realised it really is another species of red dragonfly.  What a surprising find!

 

 

This red dragonfly is the Urothemis signata of the family Libellulidae.  It has hindwing length of 35mm and its wings are more pointed, with very open venation and dark brown patch at the base, all of which are distinguishable features compared to other red dragonflies of similar size.

 

 

Although it was still quite early in the morning, this dragonfly was already getting into the obelisk stance.  I thought it was because the dragonfly should know better and that it was going to be another hot day.  As it turns out, this is a behaviour trait of this species and it is often found resting in bright sunlight, in the obelisk position.

Don't you just love all that red!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment