Saturday 17 April 2010

Feeding

"You're wolfing down your food."

A friend pointed out to me one afternoon when I was having a late lunch.  Most people would find this hard to believe as they know me to be a slow eater and I am always chewing my food.  But I was so hungry that day, I was really shoving "fried mee hoon" into my mouth.  And I was practically just swallowing them.  I didn't care if I was eating like a hog. 

Or perhaps it might be apt to say I was eating like a dragonfly?

Here's a look at feeding time for these dragonflies and damselflies and a few other insects...

 

The Orthetrum sabina wolfing down its meal of another dragonfly, of the Crocothemis spp.

 

 

 

The Brachythemis contaminata, a male, had caught a damselfly and the first thing it did was chomp off its head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A female Brachythemis contaminata feeding on a damselfly of the Pseudagrion spp.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Ischnura senegalensis subduing another dragonfly, the Agriocnemis femina, to secure it for its meal.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A damselfly, the Pseudagrion microcephalum, feeding on a spider it had caught.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And here's a spider feeding on a damselfly of the Ischnura spp.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Another damselfly, the Pseudagrion microcephalum, that had fallen prey to a spider.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A robber fly feeding on a blow fly

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment